[Madwifi-users] WPA2 in D-Link DWL-G520 PCI wireless card?
H.S.
2009-11-03 20:25:27 UTC
Hello,

I am using D-Link's DWL-G520 PCI wireless card (rev B.) in a Debian
machine as an access point using hostapd and madwifi driver.

Currently the encryption is WPA.

I have seen on Dlink's support website that a new driver provides the
option of WPA2 encryption on the cards in Windows. Does madwifi also
allow the card to work in WPA2 mode? Even though I can find a recent
driver for this card for Windows XP, I am not sure if it also includes a
new firmware for the hardware(card).

And, anybody else using this card as an ap and with WPA2 encryption?

Thanks.
ever having been read.
Pavel Roskin
2009-11-03 22:35:13 UTC
Post by H.S.
Hello,
I am using D-Link's DWL-G520 PCI wireless card (rev B.) in a Debian
machine as an access point using hostapd and madwifi driver.
Currently the encryption is WPA.
I have seen on Dlink's support website that a new driver provides the
option of WPA2 encryption on the cards in Windows. Does madwifi also
allow the card to work in WPA2 mode?
Yes.
Post by H.S.
Even though I can find a recent
driver for this card for Windows XP, I am not sure if it also includes a
new firmware for the hardware(card).
I heard from Atheros engineers that Atheros PCI cards don't have any
firmware, so it's unlikely that any Atheros drivers would include
firmware.
Post by H.S.
And, anybody else using this card as an ap and with WPA2 encryption?
Not me.
--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin
H.S.
2009-11-04 02:56:44 UTC
Post by Pavel Roskin
Post by H.S.
Hello,
I am using D-Link's DWL-G520 PCI wireless card (rev B.) in a Debian
machine as an access point using hostapd and madwifi driver.
Currently the encryption is WPA.
I have seen on Dlink's support website that a new driver provides the
option of WPA2 encryption on the cards in Windows. Does madwifi also
allow the card to work in WPA2 mode?
Yes.
Nice to have this verified for this card.
Post by Pavel Roskin
Post by H.S.
Even though I can find a recent
driver for this card for Windows XP, I am not sure if it also includes a
new firmware for the hardware(card).
I heard from Atheros engineers that Atheros PCI cards don't have any
firmware, so it's unlikely that any Atheros drivers would include
firmware.
Aha! So all I need to do is fix my hostapd configuration and not worry
about updating any firmware. Make things somewhat simpler to debug.

Thanks and regards.
ever having been read.
Eric Malkowski
2009-11-03 22:55:26 UTC
I've used Atheros based CM-9 cards in 802.11G mode with hostapd taking care of
access point encryption work and I've seen clients report doing WPA2 pre-shared
key with AES256 encryption.

I'm on vacation, otherwise I would dig up the hostapd configuration and version
info for you to experiment with.
If you e-mail me in 1 week I can forward you info if you'd like.

--
Eric Malkowski
BVWireless, LLC
H.S.
2009-11-04 02:54:58 UTC
Post by Eric Malkowski
I've used Atheros based CM-9 cards in 802.11G mode with hostapd taking care of
access point encryption work and I've seen clients report doing WPA2 pre-shared
key with AES256 encryption.
I'm on vacation, otherwise I would dig up the hostapd configuration and version
info for you to experiment with.
If you e-mail me in 1 week I can forward you info if you'd like.
After reading Pavel's reply, I have decided to give WPA2 another shot on
the card. If I am not successful, I will bother you next week.

Enjoy your vacation.

Thanks and regards.
ever having been read.
H.S.
2009-11-09 19:37:24 UTC
Post by Eric Malkowski
I've used Atheros based CM-9 cards in 802.11G mode with hostapd taking care of
access point encryption work and I've seen clients report doing WPA2 pre-shared
key with AES256 encryption.
I'm on vacation, otherwise I would dig up the hostapd configuration and version
info for you to experiment with.
If you e-mail me in 1 week I can forward you info if you'd like.
Yes, that would be nice of you. I haven't been able to make my card work
so I am willing to try other configurations.

Thanks.
ever having been read.